Thanks to man-made inventions you are not alone in your breastfeeding journey. How?Because your breastfeeding gear has got your back. Below are a few essential breastfeeding items that have been useful and effective for my journey.
- Breast Pump: The electric breast pump I used was the Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump. Depending on the size of your breast you may need a different size of flange. I also got the Medela Manual Pump to pump if I was briefly away from my daughter and feeling engorged. Both are amazing for their intended use.
- Hands-free pumping bra: You can buy a good hands free pumping bra or create two standard sized holes (around the nipple area of an old sports bra) like I did. MY DIY hands free pumping bra worked perfectly for me.
- Nursing Pillow: This is my top breastfeeding gadget that both baby and I cannot do without. We got the Boppy Nursing Pillow. It is also multi-functional and can be used as a propping, sitting and tummy time pillow (at different child milestones). My daughter gets so comfy during nursing and loves it. It also gives my arms a break from constantly holding her while nursing. We have traveled with it a few times. It’s that great!
- Nursing pads: Depending on your preference you can get the reusable or disposable nursing pads. Thankfully, I didn’t leak as much as I thought I would so I didn’t need more than one box. I got the Lansinoh nursing pads.
- Nipple Cream: I honestly didn’t think anything could soothe the pain around my nipples caused by frequent pumping (during the early weeks after childbirth). The nipple cream I used was the Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream. It worked very well for me.
- Breastmilk Storage Bags: I bought the Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage bags. These are helpful when you need to pump and store your breastmilk for later use. The bags come with a patented double click and secure seal to prevent leakage.
- Large water bottle: I kept a 64.Oz bottle with me majority of the time to remind me to stay hydrated. It also helped stimulate my milk ducts that greatly helped with more milk supply.
- Nursing cover: I got two kinds of nursing covers to use for when I feed my daughter in public. However, I preferred the Wsky Nursing Cover over the Nursing breastfeeding Scarf as the former is easier to manipulate and more breathable for baby.
- Nursing bra/tanks: I am either wearing the iLoveSIA nursing tanks or nursing bras for the most part of my day and both are very useful and convenient for nursing. The last thing you want is struggling with your bra and trying to calm a hungry baby.
There are many more breastfeeding items that you may consider using but these were essential for my breastfeeding journey. Let me know in the comments what your must-have breastfeeding items are. 😊 xo